PPL is requesting that you create an ID.me account with the IRS. Creating an ID.me account is beneficial to you and to PPL. One of the benefits of creating an ID.me account is your ability to electronically sign a Power of Attorney authorizing PPL to communicate with the IRS on tax related matters.
1) View, approve or reject authorization requests sent to your account: A Power of Attorney authorizes an individual to represent you in tax matters before the IRS and to review or receive your confidential tax information for the tax matters and years you specify. As your accountant we can respond to the IRS on your behalf regarding tax notifications. By submitting a Power of Attorney to the IRS electronically, PPL will be able to respond, resolve or receive tax information quicker.
2) You can make an online payment for the balance due on your tax return or other type of payments such as amended return, estimated tax and proposed tax assessment.
3) View your tax records for your most recent tax return, Advance Child Tax Credit Economic Impact Payment and downloadable tax records.
4) View your digital versions of some tax notices.
Tax Information Authorization (TIA) Designate an individual, corporation, firm, organization or partnership to receive your confidential tax information for the tax matters and years you specify.
ID.me is an IRS-trusted technology provider and trusted technology partner to multiple government agencies and healthcare providers. They provide secure digital identity verification to make sure you’re you – and not someone pretending to be you – when you request access to their services online.
What You Need for the Verification Process
- Driver’s License
- State ID
- Social Security Number
- Birth Date
Getting Started with the Verification Process
Start the process on your computer and have your cell phone available as you will need both to complete the verification.
Click here to go the IRS website to create an ID.me account.
- Create your ID.me account – Use your email address, create a password. Now you are redirected to the IRS website. You will receive an email with a link to Confirm your Email.
- Set up multi-factor authentication (MFA) – MFA strengthens account security by requiring an additional step during the sign-in process. There are several options for your MFA including, text, phone call, push notification, etc.
- Submit verification information – Choose how you will verify your identity: Self-service (Fastest option) and requires one of the following:
Passport CardVideo Chat requires the following:
At least 2 identity documents and a 5 – 10 minute recorded video chat
No selfie or biometric data collected
Video will be deleted
Wait time for available agent
- Consent for ID.me to collect sensitive personal info and biometric data
Verify your phone number to receive a link to take a picture of the front and back of your driver’s license. Your phone must have a camera and a web browser. Follow instructions:
- Take a picture of your driver’s license. Click complete and ID.me then verifies your DL.
- Take a video selfie. Instructions on how to make the video selfie are provided. Once successful the video is compared to your driver’s license and you are prompted to enter/confirm your phone number.
- Next enter your SS number. Your name, DOB, address, and phone number are displayed for verification.
Once your identity has been verified, ID.me will ask you to authorize sharing your information with the IRS.